tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Apr 13 06:12:04 1995

Re: {rIn} versus {Qav}

On Thu, 13 Apr 1995 09:01:04 -0400
Alan Anderson <[email protected]> Wrote:

>I want to say "The past two weeks exhausted my strength."  Using the proper
>prefix for "they-it" I translate as {HoSwIj lutlhuch cha' Hogh rIn}.
>For "the past two weeks" I choose {cha' Hogh rIn} = "two weeks be-finished".
>yoDtargh suggests {cha' Hogh Qav} = "two weeks be-final".  Since he holds
>the official post of Beginner's Grammarian, I take his suggestions rather
>seriously, but in this case I think {rIn} is better.  I offer the subject
>to the group for discussion.  What do y'all think?

I got into a somewhat simular discussion about something in Sign Language
(ASL and Signed English, but I digress...), I feel that the "be-finished"
carries the emotion of the sentence where the "be-final" (although possibly
more correct) doesn't "carry" the same emotion. Just my hunble opinion, I
yield to the BG (past and present) or Grammerians viewpoint.

rut targh DajeylaH 'a rut Dujey targh - yoDtargh
vIta'pu'be' !!!   tlhIngan ghaH *Bart Simpson*'e'
Steve Weaver       [email protected]

Back to archive top level