tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Apr 08 22:34:09 1995

My 5 minutes of fame on Aussie radio...

With the slowly-diminishing hype surrounding the release in Australia
(at last) of ST:Generations last week, Triple J radio (a branch of the
national, govt-owned ABC) advertised for anyone who could speak Klingon
to call in. I didn't hear that broadcast, and no Klingon speakers did
call in (are there no other Australians (other than N.N.) around here?!).
However, a friend of mine did hear their ad and turned me in. They
called and Friday morning and asked if I would speak Klingon on air!

I had to explain that I was not fluent, but could give them some power
phrases. Anyway, it happened, and the whole conversation went on for
about five minutes. Later I'll post a transcript of the whole thing
from my tape recording if anyone wants it. In summary, they only ended
up getting 3 phrases:
      " bIjeghbe'chugh vaj bIHegh "
      " bISuvtaHvIS bIHeghjaj "
 and  " Hab SoSlI' Quch ".
But we spoke about the KBTP (and it's 'schisms'), the KSRP and Hamlet,
and about Klingon ideals, etc. I was a bit unprepared, nervous,
excited, etc., and stuttered a bit (not on the tlh. H. though),
but I hope I didn't "misspeak" too much! I don't suppose there are
any Australians here who heard it, who can tell me how I went?

Paul M.
(PS: Nick, I mentioned you indirectly, by reputation only and
not by name!)

Back to archive top level