tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Oct 21 13:13:57 1994

Re: Pronouns and suffixes

>From: [email protected] (Matt Gomes)
>Date: Fri, 21 Oct 1994 05:55:12 +0800

>qajatlhneS:

>  I was talking to someone on the MUSH the other day, and they said:

>SoHvaD chu' nuq? (I'm pretty sure this was it)

>  Well... #1) SoH is not capitalized in the pronoun section (should be SoH)...
>and #2) I didn't know you could add noun suffixes to pronouns...

>  The example given was on page 180 of TKD:

>chaHvaD Soj qem yaS (The officer brings them food)

>  AH!  But I answer my own question... it explicitly says on P. 180 (6.8) that
>"the Type 5 noun suffix -vaD (for, intended for).  The suffix may be attached
>to either a noun or a pronoun."

>  So, this means all you have to do is put -vaD on the indirect object and put
>at the very front?  Seems straight forward...

>  Are there any other suffixes that you can add to pronouns?  Or is this the on
>ly
>one?

There was some discussion about this once; we had happily been throwing
noun-suffixes on pronouns until someone pointed out that maybe they don't
behave like nouns, since they're chuvmey.  Happily, we have examples as you
put above for -vaD, and also Okrand's "SoHDaq qeylIS qa' yInjaj" in one of
the tapes (presumable PK).

We already know that pronouns can take *verb* suffixes (see p. 68).  Though
I suppose we have no direct evidence for noun suffixes apart from -vaD and
-Daq, I would certainly think that all sensible noun suffixes are legal for
pronouns. By sensible I mean all type 5's (jIHmo', SoH'e'), but probably
not *ghaH'a' or *jIHmey.  *Maybe* things like ?jIHlIj or ?chaHna' in some
seriously avant-garde poetry, but all bets are off in things like that
anyway.

~mark

Back to archive top level