tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Oct 17 07:32:41 1994

Re: KLBC: Re: tachDaq 'el wa' tlhIngan

>From: "William H. Martin" <[email protected]>
>Date: Sun, 16 Oct 94 22:29:35 EDT

>According to Terry Donnelly:

>> By the way, is there a word for "joke"?

>I think ~mark has used {lut tlhaQ}, and if memory serves me,
>Nick has used {tlhaQwI'}, though I would personally tend to
>think of that as a comedian as much as a joke. I favor ~mark's,
>just because it is a little less ambiguous.

I can't really take credit for it: Okrand himself used "lut tlhaQ" for
"funny story" in PK.  While he didn't translate it as "joke", it was
certainly used in a similar place in a sentence ("Do you know any funny
stories, Terran?")

>> - Terry

>charghwI'

~mark