tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Nov 22 10:43:22 1994

Re: Idea.

According to Silauren Half-Elven:

> > tlhIngan Hol vIghItlh 'e' vImevQo'! qaqoy'!  reH jabbI'IDlIj muQaH.
>
> well, not that its my place to correct you, but let me say a couple of
> things here:
>
> > tlhIngan Hol vIghItlh 'e' vImevQo'!
>
> <-Qo'> is a suffix only used on imperatives; <-be'> is what you want
> here.  <-be'> acts as the negation of most verbs, but it can't go on
> imperatives; that's why we have <-Qo'>.  maj!

Oops. Not quite. {-Qo'} has two uses. One is with imperatives.
It is never okay to use {-be'} with an imperative. Only {-Qo'}
(or {-Ha'}) works to negate an imperative. Meanwhile, for
non-imperative verbs, {-be'} is a simple negation, {-Qo'}
indicates a refusal, and {-Ha'} is a kind of stronger negation,
usually less passive than {-be'} indicating an agressive act
toward the negative.  Using {mev} as an example:

vImevbe'

I am not stopping, I didn't stop, or I don't expect to stop,
depending on tense implied by context.

vImevQo'

I refuse to stop, I refused to stop, or I won't stop, depending
on tense implied by context.

vImevHa'

I tried to stop, but stumbled, tripped, my brakes failed or
otherwise, I failed my attempt to stop. I "misstopped". Again,
context sets the tense.

Given this, the original post was correct.

> --naQ'avwI'

charghwI'

Back to archive top level