tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Mar 10 22:52:11 1994

Re: KLBC: Passing Time

*Beginner*

...Paulvo':

>Argh!  I have work to do, that I don't want to do, and I really need to get
>this off my chest:
>
>qabqu' De'wI'maj pat

jIyajqu'.
De'wI'mey patmaj vImuSqu' je.
pIj "yo-yo" rur "Internet connection"maj.
mumaw'moH ghu'vam!

A note on your translation:  What you actually said was "the system of our
computer is very bad."  There is absolutely nothing wrong with this; it was
grammtically correct and I understood you perfectly.  Since I am not really
certain where the English came from (Actually, I think "computer" is used as
an adjective, and we don't have a verb "to compute"... although we DO have
SIm, "to calculate", but I think that would confuse people... I really don't
think a lengthy debate on English grammar fits here), I am not going to
comment on your style here.  Yes, I altered the translation very slightly in
my reply... it is a matter of style, and just what the English words
"computer system" mean to you.  Follow?  Or was this too much?  (yes, I get
to "cheat", and use my comments on your translations as filler between my
tlhIngan and the English translations.  I like it. {{:) )

Translation:
I *understand*.
I also despise our computer system.
Our Internet connection often resembles a yo-yo.
That drives me crazy!

--HoD trI'Qal

Back to archive top level