tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jun 28 06:07:38 1994

jatlhwI' po'be'

>From: [email protected] (Matt Whiteacre)
>Date: Mon, 27 Jun 94 19:09:34 PDT

>For something very different:

>tlhIngan Hol vIjatlhDI' po'(ghach) vIghajbe' 'e'ba'

>As soon as I speak Klingon, it is obvious I possess no skill.

Whoa!  That's different.  but is it right?  I suppose one could argue that
"'e'", as a pronoun, as a right to be treated as a verb and given the
"-ba'" suffix... but it looks absolutely god-awful.  Moreover, the only use
fo rthe "'e'" pronoun that we're given is as the object of the main verb of
a sentence, and that's definitely not what's happening here.  This comes
into a problem that I think is going to be addressed in an upcoming HolQeD
(and I don't know what the article will say, soi I don't know if I agree or
not yet) about whether/if Klingon uses something like the English
impersonal "it".  We seem to have a few cannon sentences where
sop,something like it appears to be at work, but I don`t trust its
existence yet. Well, we'll see.

If you want to say "it is obvious", how about "net legh" or "net Qoy"?

tlhIngan Hol vIjatlhDI', jIpo'be' net Qoy

Or simpler

tlhIngan Hol vIjatlhDI', jIpo'be'ba'.

~mark

Back to archive top level