tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jun 28 04:10:22 1994

Re: {-Daq} vs. {-vaD}: rehash

According to d'Armond Speers:

> I'd like to open a discussion on the topic of "beneficiary," in
> the sense of {-Daq} vs. {-vaD}.  I'm sure it's been discussed
> before, but if so, it's beyond my memory.  Let me make my
> case.

> {-Daq} refers to a location, as in (from PK):
>
> 1. QuvlIjDaq yIch tu'be'lu'jaj
>    May your coordinates be free of tribbles.
>
> But never with a language-capable being; for this, we use {-vaD}
> (from CK):
>
> 2. SoHvaD 'uQ wej vIqem
>    I'll bring you dinner number 3.

Gee, Holtej. I think you are noticing a coincidental pattern
here and taking it a little too much to heart. The coincidence
is that when you bring something to the location of an
individual, most of the time you are doing it for their
benefit. I do not think that {-vaD} and {-Daq} are nearly as
linked as you think they are. I think it is fine to say,
{SoHDaq 'uQ wej vIqem}. The meaning is a little different. If
you are a waiter, the original is the better interpretation,
unless you are trying to explicity indicate that you are
bringing dinner #3 to the person WHETHER THEY WANT IT OR NOT!
That's when I'd use the latter.

For that matter, I also think it is fine to use {-vaD} for
non-language users. {targhlIjvaD 'uQDaj vIqem} would be the
appropriate way to say, "I'll bring your targ's dinner to him,"
or even {DujlIjvaD nIn qangevqang.} "I am willing to sell you fuel
for your ship."

Does this help?

charghwI'

Back to archive top level