tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Jun 19 02:36:16 1994

Re: Father's day Message

Regarding Darren's post earlier today, a Father's Day message,
something more occurred to me.  For the second sentence, the word
{qeqjaj} was used, and I think the meaning of {-jaj} is not consistent
with (what I interpret as) the intention of the message.  {-jaj} is
translated as "may," but it's meaning is more specific: to indicate a
wish on the part of the speaker.  With that in mind, the original
sentence becomes: "With honor, your father prepared his children so
that may your children prepare their children."  Not exactly what you
want, I think.

Instead, use {-laH} "can, able".  So, {qeqlaH}.  Add this to my
earlier comments, and I think you'll have it.

--Holtej

Back to archive top level