tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jun 14 11:09:33 1994

Help!

 -=> Quoting Klingon Language List to Jennifer James on 06-08-94  10:06 <=-

 KLL> Why am I calling for help? Because I have just been hired by Wake Tech
 KLL> Community College (Raleigh, NC) to teach a ten-week class in Klingon
 KLL> Language and Culture. The class will be one night a week for three
 KLL> hours per night, starting September 19 and running through November 21.

Hi Steve!

I'm new to this mailing list (in fact this is the first message I've
entered).  I'm also just starting to learn tlhIngan.  But I have
some thoughts about your course (which sounds really exciting, BTW.
Congrats!).

 KLL> 2) things to do in/with class: drills, learning games, tips, etc.

When I was learing French in high school, I had a couple of really
excellent teachers and got to an almost fluent level in three years.
Some things they did in class that really helped:

    * Spoke almost exclusively in the language they were teaching,
      starting from day one.  If they had to say something in
      English, they repeated it in French.  They even taught us the
      French equivalents for grammar terminology as we went along.

    * Did one-on-one drills in class, in French, for which the
      tlhIngan equivalent would be something like:

        ghojmoHwI': qama' legh'a' yaS
        ghojwI':    qama' legh yaS
        ghojmoHwI': qama' Dalegh'a'
        ghojwI':    qama  vIlegh
        ghojmoHwI': qama'pu' bolegh'a'
        ghojwI':    qama'pu' DIlegh
        ghojmoHwI': qama'pu' DaHoHta''a'
        ghojwI':    qama'pu' vIHoHta'

      And so forth, in order to get the students to have an almost
      instinctive knowledge of the conjugations, or in the case of
      tlhIngan, pronomial prefixes ("wotmoHaqmey"?) and suffixes
      (mojaQmey).

    * Showed us a picture and had us make up a story about it in the
      language they were teaching.  This should be especially fun
      with tlhIngan...  ;-)

    * We were not allowed to speak English in class, except to ask
      questions like "What is the word for ___?"  If we spoke
      English, we had to do an extra assignment: write a
      paragraph-long essay in the language we were learning.

    * Once a week, those of us who were interested ate lunch with
      the professors, and again, no English was allowed during the
      meal.  All discussion had to be in the language we were
      learning, except for questions like the one above.

The most important thing I learned in that class, besides French,
was that the best way to learn a language is to =use it= as much as
possible.

Hope this helps.

Qapla'
Jennifer James
Internet: [email protected]

... "ghomtaH, Wayne."   "ghomtaH, Garth."
___ Blue Wave/QWK v2.12

Back to archive top level