tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jun 06 23:26:09 1994

Re: jIlIH'egh

According to Mark E. Shoulson:
> >According to [email protected]:
> >> Steve vIpong'egh
>
> This one's tricky already.  According to the dictionary, "-'egh" can only
> go on verbs with "no-object" prefixes (of which "vI-" isn't one.)  This
> does lead to a question of how to express what you want to say: "I call
> myself Steve".  This question has been bounced around here a lot, and it's
> not a simple one.  Me, I'm inclined to say just use "Steve jIpong'egh",
> taking "Steve" as a noun that';s not subject or object, which comes first
> in a sentence, according to section 6.1.  It's a little iffy, I know, since
> it has no type 5 suffix.  Sorry.  Maybe there's a better way.  There's
> always "Steve 'oH pongwIj'e'".

I've always been uncomfortable with the verb {pong} since it
almost always requires what I believe is termed an aposition.
That means two words applied to the same thing, like in English
when I say, "Mark, my friend,..." It is clear that Mark and the
friend are the same entity with no verb connecting them. The
compromise I am most recently accepting for myself would cast
the example as:
{"Steve" mupong nuvpu'} "People call me Steve."

I'll often say:
charghwI' mupong tlhInganpu' 'ach "Will" mupong tera'nganpu'

> ~mark

I enjoyed the rest of ~mark's explanations and corrections. It
may be odd or inappropriate for me to make that remark.

So?

I do, ANYWAY. qay''a'?

charghwI'

Back to archive top level