tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jun 02 06:32:34 1994

-moH and transitivity

        Reply to:   -moH and transitivity
I was thinking about -moH and I realized I understand it less than I
thought I did.  Two example from TKD are:
     nuqDaq waqwIj vIlamHa'choHmoH
     Du'IHchoHmoH mIvvam
In both cases, an intransitive verb (lamHa'choH, become clean;
'IHchoH, become beautiful) is changed to a transitive verb
(lamHa'choHmoH, cause SOMETHING to become clean; 'IHchoHmoH,
cause SOMETHING to become beautiful).  In fact, in all the canonical
examples of -moH that I can find, it is used with an intransitive
verb.  Is it legal to use -moH on a transitive verb?
If it is, the resulting verb has *two* objects.  For example, HoHmoH
would be to cause SOMEONE to kill SOMEONE ELSE.   "HoD qaHoHmoH"
would seem to mean "I cause you to kill the captain."  But qa-
implies the object is "you", what is that HoD doing there?  And how
could you say  "I cause the officer to kill the captain"?
"HoD yaS vIHoHmoH" must be wrong; there is no evidence for two objects
strung together like this.  Besides, it can be read "I caused him to
kill the captain's officer."

--nachHegh
[email protected]

Back to archive top level