tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Jul 17 12:41:20 1994

Apposition

Dear SuvwI'pu',

	In translating Genesis I have encountered a minor question of
grammer.  The verse in question reads something like "Abram spoke to
Sarai, his wife."  I have translated it as

     SaraivaD be'nalvaD jatlhta' abram

The nouns Sarai and be'nal are obviously in opposition.  The question I
have, however, is whether the -vaD is necessay on both of the nouns or
not.  I realize that in English two nouns in apposition must share the
same syntactical function, but I am not quite sure how (or even if) this
is followed in tlhIngan Hol.  Since in English both Sarai and wife are in
a prepositional phrase, while in tlhIngan they are both just nouns, I am
unsure how to make the comparison.  The "to" can pull double duty in
English; can the -vaD do the same for tlhIngan Hol?  Or must it be
repeated?

nuq boSov?  chay' 'e' vImugh?

| Kevin A. Wilson                               [email protected] |
|                  God protects fools, little children,                     |
|                      and ships named Enterprise.                          |
|                                             -- William T. Riker           |