tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Jul 09 06:04:39 1994

Re: KLBC (old): Grammar Question

Grant Glouservo':

>>Billvo':
>>>... bIghuH 'e' Dalujchugh vaj bIluj 'e' DaghuH.
>
>trI'Qalvo'
>>Another good quote...!
>
>jIQochbe'
>
>>Second, the <vaj> is a bit extraneous.  It is certainly not
>>incorrect, but think about this a moment, and I think you will see what I
>>mean...
>>
>>--HoD trI'Qal
>
>Would that also apply to this little quote I have adapted from CK?
>  qablIjDaq Soj tu'lu'bejchugh, vaj DatIvba'
>
>If I am going to keep it in my .sig, I want it to be correct!

I think I wasn't quite understood here.

There is absolutely *noting* grammatically incorrect about having <vaj>
preceed the "then"-part of an if/then phrase.  I was just commenting that it
wasn't *required*.  If the quote you are reciting came from a tape, it is
correct--period.  Leave it exactly how it came from the tape.  The tapes are
considered 'correct', regardless... even if there is something we perceive as
a mistake.

Unless, of course, I am totally confused.  But I don't think so.  Leave it how
you heard it.

--HoD trI'Qal

Back to archive top level