tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Feb 17 20:06:37 1994

Re: beginners

=> From: Captain Krankor <[email protected]>
=> Subject: beginners
=>
=> I propose a three-part standard:
=>
=> 1) Let's run beginner conversation here with an appropriate subject
=> indicator.
=>
=> 2) Let us put the keyboard *BEGINNER* at the beginning of all such
=> posts.  This is to remind more advanced people who read and reply to
=> such posts to tone down and keep it simple.  (In particular, it is a
=> reminder for *me*, since I intend to read and participate in the
=> beginner conversation).  The subject header is probably insufficient
=> for this, since, there are people (myself, at least) who just look
=> at everything that goes by.

	Um,  to facilitate learning,  we should finally end the debate of
what to call beginners in tlhIngan Hol and place that next to the "BEGINNER"
line,  this will help people to learn some basic language (like me!).  I would
suggest changing it from beginner to "new student" (ghojwi' chu')??

=> 3) The issue of corrections needs to be addressed.  I strongly feel
=> that it is a BAD idea to have no structure for correction at all,
=> because if people don't get appropriate, direct feedback, they will
=> just get set in their incorrect ways.  It is hard enough to learn;
=> having to UN-learn is an unnecessary extra burden.

	I think it would be best to have one dedicated grammarian to watch
over the Beginners.  In my opinion,  this person should be able to correct,
without bashing, the mistakes that will be made as we all learn the language.

	Also,  if possible,  it may be helpfull to be able to take a beginner
with a tough question or problem offline with an "ADV:" student to help them
through it.

	It is nice to see so many worrying about the younger ghojwi'pu' on
the list.  I hope to see the beginners kick up some dust as well very soon!

	Qapla'
	 -qor

Back to archive top level