tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Feb 15 01:32:59 1994

Re: Klingon Insults

On Feb 15, 12:21pm, [email protected] wrote:
> Subject: Klingon Insults

     First, I want to express my appreciation for these insults. I regard
them highly, as I do their author. I see much potential for their use.

     Now about a picky detail or two:

> 3.  tIqlIjDaq DuQbogh taj 'e' Danej.

     This should probably be {tIqlIjDaq DuQ taj 'e' Danej} [You seek that a
dagger stabs the place occupied by your heart]. What you have written is
grammatically missing a verb, since the {'e'} expects a complete sentence
preceeding it and the {-bogh} makes the only preceeding verb a dependent
clause. It means something like [You seek that a dagger which stabs at your
heart....] Can you feel what is missing here? If you remove the "which" it is
more complete.

     You could probably lose the {-Daq} here, too. The dagger stabs the
heart, right? {tIqlIj DuQ taj 'e' Danej}. [You seek that a dagger stabs your
heart.] DaparHa''a'?

> 4.  lamDaq QuchlIj DaHabchoHta'.
>
> Literally:  You have smoothed your forehead in the dirt.  This accuses
> someone of excessive servility, putting their heads in the dirt so much
> they have become smooth. This has been known to start bar-clearing brawls
> in  a matter of seconds.

     That #4 is my favorite. Except that {Hab} is intransitive, being used as
if transitive. Try {DaHabchoHmoHpu'}. I took the liberty of assuming the act
of making smooth was not intentional.

     Very inventive. I like them much.

charghwI'

Back to archive top level