tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Feb 14 23:05:25 1994

Klingon Insults

Okay, folks, it's been a long time.  I mean a LOOOOONG time.

Some of us just can't keep away from it, though.  Anyway, I was thinking
last night about insults.  I mean, Klingon is SUCH a wonderful language
for insults, it's a shame there aren't any better ones around for use.
How many times can you say "Revenge is a dish best served cold," after all?

So here are my (rusty) attempts at some Klingon insults, along with a
little background info as to why/when they became insults.  Grammar is...
well, I tried.

1. 'IwlIj DalarghlaHbe'.

Literally:  You can't smell your own blood.  Klingon for "You can't see
the forest for the trees" with an implied insult of lack of ability to
sense things close to you.  Often used of a ship's commmander, or people
in authority who underlings feel are missing some 'ong, cunning.

2. gharwI' jat; nuch tIq

Literally: Diplomat's tongue; coward's heart.  This is an old, old
insult.  In fact, it is so well known that it has been shortened from the
longer "gharwI' jat Daghaj, 'ach nuch tIch Daghaj" to the punchier version.
It implies someone is talking too much to cover cowardice.  It can be
used anywhere from the schoolground to the field of mortal combat.  It
expresses the fundamental Klingon distrust for people who talk too much.

3.  tIqlIjDaq DuQbogh taj 'e' Danej.

Literally:  You seek a dagger thrust in your heart.  Another insult on
someone's ability to see or sense, as number 1, only more so.  Often used
towards people considered past their prime.

4.  lamDaq QuchlIj DaHabchoHta'.

Literally:  You have smoothed your forehead in the dirt.  This accuses
someone of excessive servility, putting their heads in the dirt so much
they have become smooth. This has been known to start bar-clearing brawls in
a matter of seconds.

5.  nISaQmoH be'pu' qan lutmey.

Literally:  The stories of old women make you cry.  This accuses someone
of being too soft-hearted.

Well, Krankor?  How'd I do?  (Acck!  Put that sign DOWN!)

DrujIv

Back to archive top level