tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Dec 15 23:57:13 1994

Re: Can't get there from here (Was Re: negative angle)

On Thu, 15 Dec 1994, Steve Weaver wrote:

> ******
> An addendum to the first transmission:
> I've given some more thought to the use of navigation and recall
> that the Fed. Standard usage is along the lines of "122 24 mark 12"
> (as an example) where the coordinates are derived from the planet
> Dirt (or Earth or Soil, I forget what they call Terra) at 0,0
> mark 0. Astronomicly the correct coordinates would use the
> Galactic core as the center (0,0 mark 0).

122 24 mark 12 would refer to a bearing.  The bearing is a direction in
relationship to the ship's current direction.  It's different than the
heading, which refers to the angular relationship between the ship's
current direction and the center of the galaxy.  The center of the galaxy
is heading 000.  The galaxy is divided into four quadrants, each of which
is mapped into numerous sectors.  The Human Homeworld is Sector 001 of the
Alpha Quadrant.  (The Klingon and Romulan Empires are in the Beta Quadrant.)

Maybe a "negative angle" refers to any heading which would proximately
place a Klingon in coordinates containing tribbles.  {{;-)

> vlta'pu'be' !!!
> Steve Weaver     [email protected]

QuvlIjDaq yIH tu'be'lu'jaj.

yoDtargh