tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Dec 12 08:26:08 1994

Re: KLBC: a lesson

On Sat, 10 Dec 1994, William H. Martin wrote:

> For Beginners:

> Okay, as Beginners' Grammarian, I'm supposed to try to TEACH
> this language and other than responding to others' posts, I
> haven't been very active lately, so, here goes:

Overall, I think this is an excellent overview of basic Klingon syntax.

> WORD ORDER IN KLINGON SENTENCES:

[...]
> So what else goes at the beginning of a typical Klingon
> sentence? Adverbials similarly set up the context in which the
> action will occur, and they appear at the beginning of the
> sentence. Again, we get no clear heirarchy as to where an
> adverbial appears when there are also Type 5 suffixed nouns or
> time related nouns. We just know that all of these appear
> before the object of the main verb. One presumes that it may be
> a matter of style.

I think time related nouns come before the adverbial (Sec 6.7).
It also appears to me that canon indicates adverbials come before
nouns with type 5 suffixes: reH HIvje'lIjDaq 'Iw ghargh Datu'jaj.
(May you always find a bloodworm in your glass.)
An exception to the rule is that nouns with the type 5 suffix {-'e'} may
come before the adverbial.

> charghwI'
> --
>
>  \___