tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Aug 23 10:08:53 1994

Re: KLBC: Day to Die

charghwI'vo':

> Perhaps your intended meaning would come through if you combine
> {-rup} with {-mo'}. While it is true that in the main text of
> TKD, {-mo'} is only used for nouns, in the appendix it also
> becomes a verbal suffix. Hence:
>
> jIHeghrupmo' jaj QaQ 'oH DaHjaj'e'.
>
> "Because I am ready to die, today is a good day."

If I wished to invert this sentence and say "Since today is a good day,
I am ready to die," where would I put {-mo'}?  In other words, how do you
use verb suffixes in sentences which do not have a verb?  From reading Sec.
6.3, it appears to me any sentence without a verb must at least use a
pronoun and the pronoun takes the place of the verb.

Would it be correct to say the following:

vulqangan SoH'a' pagh romuluSngan SoH'a'?
romuluSngan jIHbe'qu'.
jaj QaQ 'oHmo' DaHjaj'e' jIHeghrup.

My next question is can pronouns also take noun suffixes?

jIHvaD cha'pujqutmey ngevta' verengan.

I suppose what I am trying to get at is whether Klingon pronouns
actually function as both verbs and nouns?

Lastly, I wanted to thank you and the other grammarians for expending
the time and patience to put up with me and the other newbies and answering
the voluminous number of questions thrown at you.

Satlho'neS!

yoDtargh

Back to archive top level