tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Aug 22 23:36:47 1994

Re: Grist for the mill..

>From: [email protected]
>Date: Sat, 20 Aug 94 01:07:06 EDT

Again, I'm a good hundred or two mail messages behind, so everything I post
today is likely to be out of date.  Sorry.

>Given the response to the bible question, I wasn't sure wether or not to
>submit these, but curiosity and frustration win out.

>I need Hol for the following, and I'm not doing well on my own.  Any
>SERIOUS and USEFUL translations would be appreciated.

>holy or sacred

I've seen "quv" used for this a lot.  It's a fair translation.

>bless, be blessed

"quvmoH" perhaps.  'Course, that blurs the distinction between blessing and
sanctifying (cf. Genesis 2:3  "And God blessed the seventh day, and
sanctified it").  Oh well.

>north, south, east, west

*sigh* This is a tough one; it's been batted around here a lot.  I used
"'et" for "east" in my Jonah translation, mostly because the Hebrew word
for east in that place is grammatically related to "forward", and because
the precise direction really doesn't matter to the story.  Locutions
involving "where the sun goes down/up" and so on have been proposed; those
are likely good for where precision maters.

>spirit

In Power Klingon (I think) this shows up as what sounds like "qa'".  It's
been used as such.

>deity (God & Goddess, if gender is differentiated)

I coined "joH'a'" for God (presumably both big-G and little-g, at least for
the most part.  In The Hebrew Bible, at any rate, they're not
distinguished---Hebrew has no capitals) when translating the Tower of Babel
story.  It has been widely used; it's pretty well accepted at this point, I
think.  Perhaps a transliteration of the tetragramation would make more
sense from an academic viewpoint?  I don't know.

>Lady (as in "my Lady", a counterpart to {joHwI'} (excuse spelling, my TKD is
>AWOL.

Hmm.  Myself, I'd contend that either gender could be called "joH" or
"qaH".  I suppose "chuQun be'" or "be' quv"?

>reverence.

Um... batlh?  quvghach?  Constructions with quvmoH work better: reverence
is an act of giving honor, right?  Remember how Klingon works more with
verbs than English does.

>yIHmey SorghwI'

~mark

Back to archive top level