tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Apr 06 21:11:36 1994

Re: Bhagavad, Part 2

On Apr 7,  5:10am, Nick NICHOLAS wrote:
> => =29.
> => =jotHa' rowIj je, 'ej gheghchoH DIrwIj;
> => =*ghanDI'wa'* jIchaghtaH, 'ej tujqu' je DIr.
> => Should be vIchagh.
> =moHaqmo' Dalughbej. 'ach qatlh {-taH} vIlo'laHbe'?
> =wot "frequentative" vInIDpu'. "I keep dropping G" vIHech.
>
> In that case, I think reH is better. -taH is not frequentative, it's
> imperfective. In most languages imperfective aspect is conscripted to
> express frequentative, but Klingon isn't necessarily one of them. English
> isn't --- hence "keep dropping" vs. "am dropping".
> Nick.

     Okay, then how about a little discussion on the difference between
{-taH} and {-lI'}. I thought {-taH} implied more a sense of continuation than
simple imperfective. The sense that there is no specific end to the task
seemed to be as significant as the sense that the end of the task had not yet
been achieved. The progressive, on the other hand, carried the sense that
there was a specific end to the task, but it had not yet been achieved.

     Anybody else sense that Klingons tend to be somewhat goal oriented
through their language?

charghwI'

Back to archive top level